Specializing in the care and management of children with:
Chronic headache or migraine
Tics, or other involuntary movements
Unexplained weakness or paralysis
Numbness, tingling or loss of sensation
Tunnel-vision or other unexplained visual symptoms
Non-epileptic events (pseudo-seizures)
Nervous system dysregulation describes a combination of symptoms that can arise when the nervous system adapts to a single stressful or traumatic experience, or an accumulation of small stressors.
Symptoms of nervous system dysregulation are notably exacerbated by stress which can come in many forms: illness, minor injury, exercise, social rejection, academic or other performance pressure.
Symptoms of nervous system dysregulation can interfere with school attendance, participation in activities, and overall quality of life for a child and their family.
At A Fine Balance, I will help you and your child understand the body's responses, and work towards self-empowerment and rewiring the nervous system. I use a trauma-sensitive approach, with interventions that increase the capacity for emotional and physiological regulation including HeartMath, HRV biofeedback and attachment-focused therapies.
Symptoms of nervous system dysregulation often include multiple, chronic medical symptoms from the following categories:
1) Somatic symptoms - pain, tremor, tics or other abnormal movements, abnormal sensations, loss of sensation or vision abnormalities
2) Cognitive symptoms - difficulties with attention and memory
3) Autonomic symptoms - dizziness, excessive sweating, inability to tolerate exercise, heat or standing
4) Digestive symptoms - nausea, heartburn, constipation
5) Emotional dysregulation - anxiety, depression, rage or panic attacks
6) Sleep problems - insomnia, frequent night wakings, nightmares